September 15, 2010

British manipulation of Guyana in the 1960s


In the last of the current series Mike Thomson investigates how Britain covertly manipulated the democratic process in its South American colony, then known as British Guiana in the run up to its independence in 1966. Mike discovers new documents which show that they deliberately scuppered the outcome of their own conference organised to determine the country's future.

On the face of it the conference, held in London in October 1963, was designed to confirm the constitutional future for what was then British Guiana. Publicly Britain encouraged the country's Prime Minister Dr Cheddi Jagan - who had been fairly elected in 1961 - and the leader of the opposition Linden Forbes Burnham to agree terms for independence. However, behind the scenes, the documents reveal that the British were working to a different outcome - to ensure that agreement was never reached.

Read full article and listen to the engaging audio here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.

I'm shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm
not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, amazing blog!

my blog; quantrim fast track formula