October 7, 2010

Imagining Homelands

Sorry things have been so quite here on the blog, folks, I had been hospitalised with a bout of hemorrhagic dengue and it has slowed me down. For today, I thought I would share a quote from Salman Rushdie's Imaginary Homelands which I saw referenced in Andrea Herrera's anthology called 'Idea/Nation Dsiplaced', in an essay by Eliana Rivero.

"The effect of mass migrations has been the creation of radically new types of human beings: people who root themselves in ideas rather than places, in memories as much as in material things; people who have been obliged to define themselves - because they are so defined by others - by their otherness; people in whose deepest selves strange fusions occur, unprecedented unions between what they were and where they find themsleves."

No comments: